Sure, a picture is worth a thousand words--but pictures alone are up for interpretation. Story is essential to understanding your pictures! I can show you how to tell your pictures with the stories that bring them to life!
Since my husband and I retired, we've been able to schedule visits to our kids and grandkids about every three months. We make almost every trip by rail now; we don't fly anymore. The Coast Starlight is our usual route from Portland into California.
This is why we love Amtrak:
1. You don't have to take off your shoes to get on the train.
2. You don't have to be at the station 2 hours before departure.
3. Your luggage gets sent through AT NO CHARGE--even when it's marked HEAVY.
4. Your seats are like chaise lounges with lots of leg room and elevated footrests.
5. You don't need permission to get out of your seat.
6. The Observation Car is a social mixer with a view!
7. The Coast Starlight train offers wine and cheese tastings!
8. It's a leisurely trip, considerably longer than a plane trip, but an instant stress-reducer.
9. The restored dining car on the Coast Starlight makes us feel like Hollywood contract stars from the 50's!
10. The points from our Amtrak credit card have REALLY gotten us a free ticket every trip since our first.
< This dining car from the original El Capitan route was restored to its 1950's glory and relaunched in 2008. The elegance of this car sends you back in time.
Scenery can be photographed up close from the Observation Car. These dense evergreens were clothed in heavy snow. v
SHARE THE EXPERIENCE
This was my first time on the train and I was pretty entertained by the scenery and the various cars, so I featured it on my postcard sent at the start of our vacation. The other side shared the latest pics of a proud grandma! With Heritage Makers you can make a 2-sided postcard (called an invitation) and Heritage Makers will address your envelopes and ship them for $.60!You can make your own if you go to www.sharefamilystories.com and open up a free account. I will send you a tutorial if you email me, or if you open up a free account and identify my blog as your referral to the site.
I'd love to see your travel postcard when you make one! Email it to me and I'll post it here.
P + S is best! ~Donna
Read more about the Coast Starlight at www.trainweb.com/coaststarlight/index.html Some of the articles are pretty old, and, honestly, we had access to this dining car even though we were traveling Coach, but this link has a lot of descriptive travelogs.